Man with passport

Legal formalities

When you come to Germany to study, you have to take care of several formalities:

1. Registering with the City

In Germany, all citizens must register themselves with the town or city in which they live whenever they move. Registration must take place within a week of moving (even within Germany). In order to do this in Bochum, go to the Citizens’ Advice Bureau in the City Hall or to the Citizens’ Advice Bureau in the part of the city where you live, such as the Uni Center. Your data will be registered there.

2. Visa extension

For your visa extension there are different regulations for students from EU countries and those from other nations.

Regulations on visa extension   (70.0 kB)


Questions about the course of your studies are regularly asked of the International Office. This usually happens at the beginning of a course after about two years and then annually. The International Office must provide information in this case and function as a contact interface between the Foreign Nationals’ Offices, Faculty/Examination Offices and students. So if you get post from the Foreign Nationals’ Office, just contact us.

Foreigners´registration office at Bochum

Willy-Brandt-Platz 2-8
44777 Bochum
Tel.:+49(0)234 910-24 00
Fax: +49(0)234 910-15 93
Office hours:
Mo+Tu+Fr 08:00 to 13:00
Thursday 08:00 to 18:00


International Office

Ruthild Schulte

FNO 01/174

Tel: +49 (0) 234 32-25899

Fax: +49 (0) 234 32-14297